dimanche 30 mars 2008

Moi, le Pauvre

Saturday : Saturday was an awkward day. I spent most of the day in my room in front of a computer with no internet. What joy!

When I went downstairs in the morning to eat breakfast Hélène was running around getting ready for her parents to come for Benedict’s confirmation at church on Sunday. She must have been in a bad mood because she said something that wasn’t all that nice. Here’s the story:

Keep in mind that not all families are the same and that just because my mother is the best mother in the world doesn’t mean that all of the mothers in the world are exactly the same! After I ate my breakfast, I went into the family room to watch television. As I was watching, Benedict came into the room to practice the cello. She started to take the cello out of the room so that I could watch the T.V., but I insisted that she stay and asked if I could use the internet (in the same room) instead. She started to set up her cello while I was logging on to the family computer to check my e-mail. For some reason the girl decided that she couldn’t practice with me in the room, so she took her cello into the living room. I thought, “whatever! I can’t do anything about it, so why try!” While Benedict was setting up in the living room Hélène came in and asked me if I could be done with the computer in about 5 minutes because the floor in the living room was too slick for the cello. That was fine, I had a thousand of other things I could have been doing in this busy life of mine here in France! I told her ok and finished reading my e-mails. She then came in again and said that I need not hurry because Benedict found a place where she could practice. She then followed that by saying, “You understand; this is why we like to keep this room for the family only. Louis-Henri sleeps in here when he visits and the kids do their homework in here. That’s why we keep the doors shut.” I was done. That’s all she needed to say. It was very clear! I may try to seem like a hard nose from time to time, but the truth is that it doesn’t take much to upset me. I went upstairs and waited for the upset feeling to pass and then I went into town.

I know that Hélène wasn’t trying to be rude. I understand that she wants to make sure that her family is taken care of at all times, so when Benedict didn’t have a place to practice, she probably felt like I was in the way. I have to understand that just because my mom treats all guests as if they are a part of the family, I shouldn’t always expect the same thing. However, I’m still going to have a conversation with her just to let her know that what she said wasn’t exactly taken with a grain of salt. One day she’s going to say that to a future exchange student and they’re going to hang themselves and she’ll be held responsible.

When I went to town I found the Lion King the Musical CD at FNAC for €10! This made me a bit happier. I then went home at 18h00 and waited for dinner. WE DIDN’T EAT UNTIL 21H00! I waited for 3 hours to eat when I could have been at the Café using the internet! I was just a bit frustrated. Eventually Hélène came up to my room to ask me to come down and join the other guests that had come into town for Benedict’s confirmation at church. She said that she didn’t even know that I was upstairs because I was so quite. Yeah Hélène! After you told me that I wasn’t allowed in the family room, I pretty much didn’t feel like I was invited to join the family downstairs! Oh well. Like I said, we’ll have a nice little conversation. She is usually VERY nice to me, but that one thing is really bothering me!

When I was finally called to come downstairs to have aperitifs with the guests I got to be a part of a very lively (sarcastically speaking) group of people. We sat and stared at each other while we waited for Yves-Marie, Benedict, and Yves come back from wherever they were. We then finally ate (vegetables). Oh, c’est la vie!

Aucun commentaire: