samedi 1 mars 2008

EN COLÈRE

Today I planned on going out to Cafés to meet people. Right now I am in a café and I am EN COLÈRE (MAD)! It is 19h18 (7:19pm) and I just discovered that the internet at my apartment has stopped working. The Grousiers came back to town about two hours ago, so I went to ask Yves if he knew what I should do. I kid you not, the kid told me that I would just have to wait a while and see what happens! I’m going to lose it! He basically told me, “too bad!” Just for the record, that is a common French response to any problems you may have! One can never expect things to be the way they are in Texas! And you can take that to the bank!

Today is NOT over; however, I am forced to post early because waiting might NOT solve the problem YVES! Let me just say that my anger is simply from the fact that I was born in the United States of America. Think about the last problem you had with technology or something pertaining to the general public. What was your reaction? Were you so enraged that you couldn’t see straight? (Some random French people are staring at me!) If you said no, consider this: you’re in your house in the middle of a burning hot summer and the air conditioner stops working. Are you mad yet? Some of you might be mad just thinking about that! If so, it’s probably because you’re an American. If you reading this and you’re from another country, please bare with me for a moment! In the United States we have everything we need any time we want it! Walmart™ is open all night; McDonalds™ will have your food ready within ten minutes or less; pizza companies advertise how quick they can bring you your pizza; and Starbucks™ would never build a location where they couldn’t have a drive-up window. In France drive-up windows are foreign. (These French people are still staring at me!) We are spoiled! When the internet doesn’t work, we call the internet company and they had better be there ASAP or we’re taking our business elsewhere! My family here in France has a dishwasher, but it hasn’t worked since well before I arrived. Do you know what their solution is? Wash the dishes in the sink! (Scary music…woman screaming!) They don’t even have a microwave! Mom, Dad and Carter would die! When there’s a problem, oh well! Have a cigarette! C’est la vie! (That’s life!) Your problems don’t exist in France (according to the French). Americans have a very real since of urgency when something goes wrong. When we “need” something and it isn’t there, we freak out! That’s what I did! After I spoke with Yves I sat in my room and yelled out English profanities for a solid fifteen minutes. He probably thought that I was having a case of Turrets Syndrome! (I’m going to throw a spoon at this French girl if she doesn’t stop staring at me! This may be where a riot is started Meredith!) I decided to go downstairs to call my friend and see if he knew where an internet café is located. When I got on the phone, I can assure you that my tone of voice made it very clear to the family how I was feeling! I hate speaking English in front of people when they can’t understand, but this time it was too bad! Sorry Yves! I just had to leave!

I took my computer and went into Centre Ville to buy a phone card and call my mom from a pay phone. Mom, I’m sorry if this upsets you, but when she answered, I started to cry a little bit. As a guy it’s hard to admit that, but in this case it might help you understand how I was feeling! For the past four weeks I have been able to keep in touch with my friends and family in the USA, but now I feel stuck! I was blessed to find this café that has internet access for free! Even though I’m so mad that I can’t see straight, I am still being watched over by God.

To go from the excitement of meeting new French people, to being treated like dirt by those French people, to not having the means to communicate with my loved ones, to being here in a café being stared at by random French people is hard! Like I said, this might be the point at which I start a riot! I’ve been here for over a month and I still don’t have a solid relationship with anyone in this country. Some of you think that I’ve been whining and that I should just shut up and enjoy the fact that I’m in France; however, this isn’t a vacation! I didn’t come here to see the country side or to climb the Eiffel Tower. I did those things five years ago. This time is for real. This time has to count. Every day is another chance to change my life. I will refuse to let these four and a half months be in vain. Today is the first day of the rest of this séjour. Today will either be a good day or a bad day. Should I discover that I’ve been wasting my time here, I will see you all again in June and will never look back! I pray that this doesn’t happen. I pray that something phenomenal will occur! I pray that when I come back to the States that you won’t recognize me because I’ve been so changed! I want to use French words on accident! Just now I accidentally spelled out June like Juin (June in French). I want that to happen all of the time! I want this language and culture to infiltrate my mind. I can eat a baguette with Nutella™ in the United States. I can only be stared at by a random group of French people in a French café in France! Something needs to happen!

5 commentaires:

Sarah Gail a dit…

Cole, Nothing is ever a waste of time, and everything counts. It may just not be counting the way you expected, but it certainly is not out of God's hand or his plan for you life. Even if you leave France without any long lasting relationships, there is a reason for that. And it matters, regardless of how frustrating it is!

It amazes me how much we take for granted the extra things like drive thru starbucks for example (we only have one of those in BCS, and I was floored when I moved here). I think there is a lot of virtue to be seen and learned when living life at a slower pace. Even though to go from a microwave culture to a no dishwasher culture is hard!

Hang in there, friend. You are tough, and even when you aren't God is a purpose for every moment! And he is all that you need, even without the internet.

Sarah a dit…

I know that things get tough when the culture is so different from the US. I had a similar experience in Mexico because people there don't let things worry them and everything is about taking it slow. You just have to grin and bear it and remember that you are blessed to even get the opportunity to live in France! I know that you will make it through this a changed person and I know you will find what you are looking for soon! Just hang in there and know that we are all thinking of you! =0)

Anonyme a dit…

Cole,

It was so good to talk to you yesturday it really made my day after a long week. Oh how I miss us having coffee and just chatting about life. I know that things have not been easy and you are probably wanting to swear at me for encouraging you to go to France but I continue to have faith that God has a plan and that in His timing He will reviel it to you. I think you have a lot to learn from this experience and I know that you are changing because as I read your blogs I can see the changes happening. Continue to have faith and know thats its ok to have bad days but know that the good ones will always out weigh the bad ones.

On another note, I really think you should have said something to that person staring at you because I know you would have here if that happened. I can just imagine you staring back, it made me chuckle inside. Just to make you laugh I have a little story to tell you. So tonight, Adam, Chris, and I went to George's for dinner. Well there are a lot of alumni in town because of it being SING weekend. Well there was this group of girls who had to be a part of some soroity and there was this tall girl wearing a very short dress. Well when she went to hug one of her friends lets just say that dress creeped up a little too high. I saw more than I wanted to, it was too much, no thank you. Really sometimes I wonder who lets their friends out of the house in those type of outfits. I'm sure you can imagine my facial expression which I hope is making you laugh. I love you Cole and know I continue to pray for you as you grow through this experience.

Sharia

Anonyme a dit…

PS...What's your address?
Sharia

Anonyme a dit…

%$&*(#@###!!! Ah, I can sense your frustration. Makes me wonder if university housing is easier over there...you know, those angry parents on move-in day, the resident who needs a room change NOW, etc. Ya know, maybe if our legal driking age was 18, things might be different - ha! I'm sure they start adding liquor to the baby bottles at a very early age. j/k

So, I'm so glad you called on Friday night - it totally made my week! Now I can pronounce the names and understand things a bit better when I read. :) I hope the internet gets fixed soon, otherwise, you might get stared at more often in the cafe. Who knows Cole, maybe this is God's grand plan for you to meet one of the crazy staring people. It could happen! You'll just have to find one who is comfortable with you lobbing a spoon at them - or - you just might accomplish #2 afterall. :)

Hang in there friend. Be mad when you want to be mad, be sad when you want to be sad, and be happy when you think of Franklin Peebody on my leg. :)

Lots of Love & big HUGS!
Meredith