mercredi 30 janvier 2008

2eme Jour à Paris


After some much needed sleep we went to Notre Dame for morning mass. I have heard that the best day to go to Notre Dame was on a Sunday because nobody in France goes to church anymore. Well, this wasn’t exactly true. The place was crowded! There were people there from all over the world! Portions of the mass were in other languages but hardly any of it was in English. This was a great surprise because almost everything in Paris seems to be in French and English. When it came time for communion, Rachel and I (two Protestants) went up to the front with our arms crossed to signal that we weren’t Catholic so that the priest would just bless us instead. However, it seems that he did not understand this sign as he gave us the communion wafer instead. I have been to several Catholic masses and the only one I actually ever took communion in was Notre Dame! Crazy!



That afternoon we ate at a nearby restaurant that had a student meal for a discounted price! We then decided to see Musée d’Orsay (the impressionist art museum). When we got to Musée d’Orsay we were so tiered we could hardly stand up. We were still suffering from jetlag. We then decided to leave and go get some coffee. This is when we found this nice café near Place de la Concorde where we had some coffee (which you must know, in France, when you order coffee they give you a shot of espresso. In order to get coffee like we have in the US, you have to order café au lait). We then took our pictures at Place de la Concorde and then took a train to Mont Martre to see La Moulin Rouge and Sacré Coeur Cathedral.



We took some photos at the Moulin Rouge and at Sacré Coeur and called our families from a nearby telephone booth. We then ate at a place that served crêpes. When we sat down, there was an old woman at another table that didn’t seem to like us very much. She sort of stared and started to mumble a few things to the people with whom she was sitting. At one point the waiter told her not to worry because we were just English, of which WE ARE NOT THANK YOU! I’m sure the English are very nice people, but I am not English! We then headed back to our hotel via the metro where we were stopped by some not very nice officials and asked for our metro tickets. Of course this was the first time that Rachel and I both threw out tickets away right after we walked through the turnstile! I tried to argue with the lady, but she wouldn’t listen. We had to pay 25euros each! I was furious! Rachel and I had been speaking French with one another the entire time, but at that point, I angrily began to speak in English. Rachel kept encouraging me (in French) that it wasn’t a big deal, but I wouldn’t listen and continued to speak in English. This is when a guy overheard me and nodded his head like he knew what I was talking about. I then turned to him and started to explain in French what had happened. He was very surprised to hear that I could speak French and invited Rachel and I over for something to drink. We (probably shouldn’t have) said yes and went to the home of François. He was very nice and told us that if we ever come back to Paris that we needed to stay with him. His house was a bit nasty so I think I’ll pass, but we did have a very nice time. He gave us some bear, but we only drank a little bit to be nice because we were both not keen on getting drunk. It was a nice time and we made a new Friend!

Aucun commentaire: