jeudi 6 mars 2008

Je Reviens

I must apologize! I finally brought my laptop to the university to update you! Let me just say, this internet thing is going to be the death of me! There are now three brand-new stories to read! I’m sorry that it has to be this way!

Yesterday was interesting. As you may know (from reading the previous “brand-new” stories) I have been sick. My head feels like it’s going to explode. I finally went to see a doctor, and let me just say, things are NOT like they are in the United States! First of all, when I showed up, I looked for a place to sign in. That’s not how it works. You just sit in a room with all sorts of random other people and wait for the doctor to open the door and call in the next person. This means that you have to remember what order you came into the room. When it was FINALLY my turn, I was made to come in and explain my problems in French. This wasn’t too bad except for the fact that I was feeling like hammered doodoo and my throat was inflamed. This makes for a difficult French conversation. She gave me some prescriptions and filled my others then sent me on my merry way.

After the doctor I went home to lay down for a little bit. I couldn’t fall asleep, so I got up and got on the computer (NOT THE INTERNET! – sad face). I then had dinner with just Yves and Benedict while Yves-Marie and Hélène went to the cinema. We had some meet and CRÊPES WITH NUTELLA™!

After dinner I went out with Andrew to an apartment with some of his French friends from his business classes. It was semi-fun. Everyone spoke English, so it was like spitting in the wind for me to speak French; however, I ended up speaking French to them and they spoke English to me. One of his friends, Hervé (you might remember him from a previous post) tried to hook me up with this girl named Alexia. She was nice, but I don’t think it was a good situation to meet her. There was loud music and everyone was smoking. I finally went home and caught the last tram back to my tram stop (Quai de Juillet (kay de jwee-ay)). I was still feeling sick, so I fell right to sleep.

Today I have been feeling better, but I’m still a bit under the weather. Now I’m sitting in something called La Maison d’Étudiants (It’s like the SUB at Baylor). I’ve been having a conversation with a few friends (in English) discussing our experiences in France. We’ve been talking about how annoying it is to meet a French person and have them ask you “Do you like Bush? Which kinds of AMERICAN music to you listen to? Do you want Hillary or Obama to win? I want to go to the USA! I can speak English!” I want to launch those people to the moon when they start in with those comments! Now I’m going to lunch and maybe tonight I will hang out with some French people! On va voir!

2 commentaires:

Cole Casper a dit…

MEREDITH! YOU ROCK MY WORLD! THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT!

-SIC'EM BEARS! (BOO aggies!)

Anonyme a dit…

Omg, Cole, that game was outta control last night! I went with Larry and we were so disgusted - we left early. Sooo, here's the scoop...so the Ags were up most of the game, Baylor caught up 3 or 4 times but that was about it. So, at one point, a small yellow ball came hurling down from the stands onto the court. So the announcer said "Please don't throw anything, it could result in Baylor receiving a technical foul."

So the game continues. An Aggie knocks Tweedie down hard, the refs didn't see it, so the crowd gets angry and starts chanting "aggies suck." Then a timeout was taken after Tweedie got up. A second yellow ball hit the court from the stands. This time, it came from a very "yellow" section that had only 2 or 3 "maroon" people in it. Immediately, everyone in the arena began to point violently at the aggie fans and this balding older dude ran up to them from about 15 rows down and was yelling at them. Officer Perkins had to break it up and remove the Aggies from the stands - probably for their safety. At that point, Larry and I left - we were appauled.

Ok, so here's the skinny - I don't think it was the Aggie fans, we didn't need Baylor to get a technical foul - we were winning...also, my best friend told me today that those were her students and they said they didn't throw the ball. Their picture is all over the Lariat and the Waco Trib today. It was total mob mentality - one person points, so they all point - and to be honest, I thought the Baylor girl next to them was trying to tell the old bald dude that they didn't do it. Regardless, we left. And, I find it hard to believe that the old bald dude was looking back up into the stands at that time - who knows. What makes it slightly more comical, when you review the photo on the Lariat or the Trib - you can see everyone in the stands looking behind them at the aggies -but not Jim Broaddus, he's looking straight ahead and looks bored. HAHA! :)

So, later that night, I headed over to Shannon's apartment to give her a map of Boston (they left for NASPA today). Jennifer Perkins husband stopped by to drop off her camera and some contacts that she forgot to pack for Shannon to take. Steven is a student coach for the team, so he told me what happened after I left.

So aparently, the fans continued to get angry. At the end of the game, the Aggies won and then all sorts of bottles and trash started to get hurled down onto the court. All the stats people with laptops were running away because they were getting soiled with trash. And then a stupid aggie basketball player had to dunk the ball - after the buzzer - rubbing the victory in. Steven said the A&M coach was so MAD at that player - I'm mad too, and I wasnt' even there.

Regardless, I'm so ashamed of the Baylor fans...aggies too, but before I left, the Baylor people were the worst. I hate to say it, but I'm actually glad you weren't here - it would make you sad.

Anyhoo, I'm glad you got to the doc and I want to know....does Helen make her crepes homemade each time she serves them??? I want some. My best friend's mom made some at new years - mmmmmmmm!

Hugs,
Meredith