jeudi 6 mars 2008

Ego

Lego my ego! Today was definitely a day that stroked my ego! First of all, my professor came up to me in my culture class and said, “Because I noticed that you can speak French really well, I want to give you a supplementary article to read if you would like.” I was a bit embarrassed because she said this in front of the entire class, but I was SO enthralled! ME? SPEAK FRENCH? You’re kidding right? Surely she was hearing someone else speak! After that class, I went to the gym and had a nice workout. After working out I had a short conversation with the two ladies that work there. One of them goes to the same church as me here in Caen and so I had the opportunity to talk with her a bit. While I was talking with her the other lady said, “You speak French really well!” Like I said before, she must have been listening to someone else! I objected, but she just kept on insisting. She then said, “I also love your accent.” Now that’s nasty! American accents are not attractive! They sound like a Ford™ Tempo gasping for its last breath of carbon monoxide. But hey, whatever works! It is true that Americans like French accents, but I find it hard to believe that the inverse is true. Who knows, maybe my accent will find me a wife!

When I got home, Yves-Marie and Yves tried to help me figure out the problem with the internet. Yves-Marie tried to call the internet company and ended up handing the phone to me. I was a bit shocked, but was able to understand what the person on the other line was saying. I don’t know how that happened, but it did! ALERT THE MEDIA! After our nice little internet escapade with no positive result, I had the supreme opportunity to eat with just Yves! It was SO fun! After an hour or so of conversation I forgot that I was speaking French! This was ego booster number four. It didn’t matter what I said, he was all ears. He started talking about how much he wants to come to Baylor to study. I then told him that he would need to practice his English. We tried to practice a bit, but the conversation soon switched back into French. He is VERY timid and afraid to speak English in front of me. I basically told him “You’re gonna to have to buck it up cowboy! Ain’t nobody in Texas gonna speak French!” He wants to come and hangout with my American friends one day to try and hold a full conversation. After a short failed attempt at English, I showed him some American praise and worship songs. He was very pleased and told me that he wanted to copy them and blare them on his stereo. He’s not used to hearing that sort of music in the churches he attends. We then had a very nice conversation about dating and having a relationship with someone who wasn’t a Christian. As you may know, his girlfriend doesn’t believe in God, so things are going to be very interesting when they start to talk about his Catholic beliefs.

Had it not been for God’s blessings upon my ego, today would have been a terrible day. I am currently sick and came home after my morning class to take a three hour nap (missing my very boring grammar lecture). My ears, nose, and throat are inflamed like none other! It’s going around. It was bound to hit me! It always does! I found some pain and inflammation pills from Baylor, so maybe that will help! Tomorrow I will try to hit up the doctor’s office on campus!

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

You do speak French really well. I love that you got an ego boost today. We all need a good boost every once in a while. :) So, yesterday was perfect. It was warm, breezy and beautiful. Today was hell - bitter cold and wet wet wet! ugh! I want that nice weather back. It is so weird because the two days are so polar opposite. Anyhoo, I hope you figure out the internet. :)

Hugs,
Meredith