dimanche 3 février 2008

Dimanche

Today was good! I woke up and took a bath (not that you care). I can’t take a shower here because they only have a shower nozzle on a rope and a bathtub. So I sit in the tub and try to bathe while freezing to death! After that we went to church. Wait, we walked to church. That’s right. The French love to walk. Imagine that! And it was cold too! We took the elevator down to the first floor, put something in the car, and walked to one of the most beautiful churches I’ve ever seen.

The church is called Abbaye aux Hommes and is one of the biggest churches in Caen. It was actually used as a refuge for the citizens of Caen during the bombardments of World War II. As you may know, Caen is in Normandy and was almost completely destroyed during the war. There is actually a church next to Abbaye aux Hommes that was bombarded during the war and was left as a memorial. Because of the American aide to the French during this war, the citizens of Caen are very welcoming to Americans like me. When they hear that you speak English they think you’re from England, but when you tell them that you’re from the USA they get very excited! That’s right ladies! I’m an AMERICAN! (Pause for national anthem of the USA).

Today we had a big lunch with a little bit of wine. I like wine, but to be honest, French wine is very strong and hard to swallow! The Groussiers don’t drink that often, but today was Sunday and the day after the day after Hélène’s birthday. We got to sing Happy Birthday in French! After lunch everybody (including me) took a nap! It was very nice and relaxing.

When I woke up from my nap, I went to the university to see where my classes would be held for tomorrow. When I got there I saw that I had been placed in the third group. I’m not sure what this means, but I think it means that I will be expected to learn and study more! This is good and a bit nerving at the same time! If it is a higher level of French, then IF I do well I will receive a certificate from the French government saying that I am proficient and fluent in the French language. We’ll see what happens.

Tonight at dinner I spoke with Papa Groussier about country music as he told me how much he loves it. He is still putting the hot sauce I brought on everything he eats! Chicken, salad, bread, you name it! I’m going to have to see that my parents either send me another bottle before the man goes crazy, or bring some when they come to visit me!

It is now almost 9h00pm (2h00 USA). I guess I’m going to go to bed early since I have to be at the university at 8h20! Good night!

Aucun commentaire: