dimanche 9 mars 2008

C’était en Français!

Right now I’m writing in French. You’re thinking, “What? This isn’t French, it’s English; I can read it!” But you’re wrong! Now, I am writing in French! Maybe by the time you read this I will have translated it into English, but for the moment, it’s French. Why am I writing in French for the first time? It’s because tonight I want to dream in French. Tonight for the first time in my life I want to have several French dreams. Also, I was in the process of speaking and thinking in French before I came back to the apartment tonight when I decided to write something for my blog. This isn’t an easy thing to do if I wish to continue in French so that I might dream in French. If I continue to think in French, I can’t write in English! What should I do? Write in French!

Today was very good for my health! I went to my grammar class (ok, not everything was good for my health) and then I went to the Lounge Café for coffee and use the internet. I went with my friend Amanda, Rachel, Andrew, and Marie. It was nice! We talked and discussed for several hours! After that I went to the gym and then back home for dinner; however, I didn’t eat. When I got home, no one was in the process of cooking anything. There was just Yves-Marie and Benedict. Yves-Marie was looking at photos of trains while Benedict was watching television. Hélène wasn’t there and Yves was at Rugby practice with his rugby team. I waited until 19h45 (7:45pm) and then I decided that I had to leave for church that would be starting at 20h00 (8:00pm). I said to Yves-Marie, “I have to leaved now.” And he said to me, “You’re not going to eat with us?” I said, “No, I can’t. It’s already 19h45 and church starts at 20h00.” He then said, “Oh, that’s sad! Have a good evening!” When I got to church I was crazy hungry! Too bad (as the French would say)!


At church Rachel was there for her first Friday service. After the service, we went to the basement for coffee like usual. After everyone had finished their café and snacks, my friends Jérôme and Kemuel washed the dishes. I went into the kitchen to speak with them. While talking with them I learned that when Francophones speak French they don’t have an accent, but when they speak English, I think, “OH MY! THEY’RE FRENCH!” C’est marrant ça ! (Sorry that doesn’t exactly translate!)


After the dishes were done, the guys decided to be a bit mean to the girls. Rachel lost her shoe while trying to kick a soccer ball and Kemuel decided to steal it for a game of “Keep Away”. It was very funny and very good for my French! Kemuel is probably one of the funniest people in the world! In the past I didn’t think that would ever be able to understand French and converse in French, but after tonight, I KNOW that it’s possible! THANK YOU GOD! It was midnight before we left!


After church our friend Magalie took Rachel and I into Centre Ville so that I could eat. We then met Linden at Saint Pière so that she could eat as well. We then decided not to speak in English for the rest of the night. After a night at church like this one, I didn’t want to adulterate it with English. While eating Rachel said to me, “Cole, cover your ears! I must say something in English!” I did and afterwards it was nothing but French. MAIS OUI! After Linden and I had eaten, we ran into our friends Marie and Julia (Julia from Norway). We decided to walk together to look for a place to hang out. We were out of luck because all of the places were closed. So, we said goodbye and now I’m back in the apartment typing in French! It’s 7:39pm (in Texas) and I am VERY tired! Good night!

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

Challenging yourself, I like it! I hope you dreamed in French last night. The blog was fun to read- not everything translated perfectly - so it made me laugh! :) Your church experiences are making me happy because I can tell that they are enriching your experience greatly. Keep going!

Campus is QUIET!! So QUIET!! Most everyone left on Friday for Spring Break, so that leaves me. I did some major spring cleaning yesterday - my apartment is soo clean, you could eat off of the floors! Sharia and I are supposed to go grocery shopping today. The dining halls won't be open this week, so we must cook for each other.

Oh and we did the whole "spring forward" thing last night...so I totally missed church! Hopefully slacker church still exists when the students aren't around - that's the 9pm mass. :) Do they do anything as silly as daylight savings in France?

Hugs,
Meredith