mardi 19 février 2008

Je m'appelle Colle!

Glue! My name is glue! Literally! The French word for glue is “colle” and is pronounced like “Cole”. The verb for to glue is coller (cole-ay). This summer at Baylor Line Camp there was a group of students singing “Cole-ay! Cole-ay! Cole-ay! Cole-ay!”. If they only knew what they were singing! “To glue! To glue! To glue! To glue!” I discovered this the other night when a friend of mine from church came up to me, put his arm around me and said, “hey, je suis collé à Cole!” (I’m glued to Cole!). Thanks Mom! It’s a wonderful name that goes very well with Casper …in the United States! Can you imagine a foreigner coming to the United States with the name Glue? It’s no wonder the French never have trouble pronouncing my name when I tell them for the first time! It is French! It’s glue! Hi, my name is Glue!

Today I had five hours of very boring classes! It was tough to stay awake! I had one class that has around 100 students and a professor that stands at the front of the room and talks about pronouns! GAG ME WITH A SPOON! Today on my way out of class I told my friend Marie that this had better be the last grammar class I ever take in my life! I have not only had to put up with French grammar since high school; I’ve also taken two upper level French grammar classes at Baylor and now this one that lasts for an hour every week and comes with a supplementary two hour class on Fridays! By the time the weekend is here I’m spent! I also had to give a presentation in my Sociology of Language class on the differences between the French second person pleural and second person singular. This is the difference between you and ya’ll; except in France they use ya’ll to speak to someone formally. I wrote about this subject when I first started the blog and told you how Hélène said that I could use you instead of ya’ll when talking with her.


After class I went to the gym and had a conversation with a mumbler. He told me that I should use the sauna when I’m done working out because it calms the nerves. We’ll see about that one. On my way home from the gym I was confronted by a bum wanting a cigarette. When he started to talk I said, “Excuse me?” in English so that he wouldn’t bother me for much longer. Just when I did that, a friend of mine from church drove up and rolled the window down to say hi. I was caught! I tried to pretend I couldn’t speak French, but now I was obliged to speak it fluently. I therefore lied to a bum! For once I wanted to be the dumb American, but was caught red-headed! C’est la vie!



You know the feeling you get when you’ve eaten the last piece of candy out of the Pez™ dispenser? It hurts! Thanks mom for the Valentine box full of goodies and BEEF jerky! Even in France she still provides for me when she hears that I’m not eating enough meat! I wonder if I could get away with telling her that I’m not meeting enough French girls. You think she’d mail on to me? I guess I’m in the best location to find and mail one of those. Maybe I’ll mail myself one back to Texas!

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

hahaha, i love that your name means glue. fuuunnay.

Anonyme a dit…

Hi Glue! You totally just gave yourself a new nickname...sorry! Sharia's wedding plans are coming right along. She chose colors - dark purple and olive green - and her flowergirl is already high maintenance. I'm sure you know how that's going over!! lol Oh, we got stopped today by the bears out walking - I totally thought of you!! Baylor misses you, but I think France is beginning to get to know you, Glue! :)

Hugs,
Meredith