jeudi 21 février 2008

En Calvados Aujourd'hui

I am still VERY tired! This language is making me SO tired! I realized today that when I go back to the United States I will be in shock to hear people speaking English in the streets! I don’t know how I’m going to feel about that! I love to wake up in the mornings, get on the tram, and hear these Francophones go to town! In other news, if you would like to read a blog post of mine that was posted on a Baylor blog, go to http://www.campuslivingandlearning.blogspot.com/. I was asked to write the post by Rishi Sriram, the Associate Director for Academic Initiatives & Housing Administration at Baylor. He is one of the chairs of the Global Community Living and Learning Center steering committee, of which I have been a member since the end of 2006. We’ve had great opportunities to help develop a community that could forever affect the greater Baylor community. Now that I am in France I’m not able to work with this committee; however, this doesn’t mean that I’m not in contact with those who are still at home! They’re working their hearts out! Good job ya’ll (I miss Texas)!

Today I had my Global Simulation class. This is the class where I have to develop an alternate personality and live a pretend French life. Today we worked on developing the apartment complex in which we all live. I got to draw floor plans of the inside! That may sound boring to you, but if you know me, you know that I like drawing floor plans even when it’s not for a grade. Did I just admit that on the world-wide web? It’s going to be an amazing class! I wish I could have it more than once a week. My other class today was my Media class where I had to get up with my group and give a presentation on French newspapers. It was boring! Since he wasn’t teaching, the professor decided to sit in the empty seat next to me; this meat that I wasn’t allowed to doze off when I got too tired.

Some of you might wonder what the professor of my Oral class had to say about the live Bears we have on Baylor’s campus. I mentioned it again yesterday and he ran down to the Mediatech to look online. Much to my chagrin, he came back with a print out of a webpage that talked about Baylor Bear abuse. Apparently there was a group a while back that didn’t like the fact that we have a “zoo” on campus, so they decided to make our program sound bad by creating a website that talks bad about the Bear Program. What they don’t know is that the new habitat cost almost $1million dollars and is incomparable to most other Bear habitats. www.baylor.edu/bear - I will be e-mailing my professor this site!


Later on today I went to the gym and then home to eat with Yves-Marie. We had a very nice dinner just the two of us. We talked for well over an hour (IN FRENCH). He informed me that he just received some time off from work, so he will be joining his family in Britagne from this Saturday to next Saturday. That means that I will have the house to myself for six days! I would have it for seven except for the fact that I will be going to Paris this weekend with my friends. When I get there I will get to have coffee with the family of a Baylor Regent! I’m very excited!

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Rishi sent out the blog link to everyone. I loved it - especially the part to your mom about not hurting sharia...lol! It was a great representation of the Baylor spirit and I really enjoyed it. Your classes sound interesting, especially the one where you were drawing floor plans. So, if you really like doing that, I'm assuming you will have an amazing house one day - just make sure to invite me over, ok? Also, poor bears, I was sad to see that your prof found that bogus website. It makes my heart hurt, and me want to go visit the bears. It is one of my favorite parts of Baylor. Maybe I should go take a photo or a short video and send it to you via email so you can show your prof...let me know if you think that will help. :) I miss you Glue. :)

Hugs,
Meredith

Elizabeth a dit…

Hey Glue!

There are actually quite a few French people here! Come visit me in Scotland and I'll introduce you to my French friend who may introduce to you more French friends...haha. It's funny how coming to Scotland will land you some French buddies. But anyway, I know you can never stop being my friend. I mean, what else goes so perfectly with salt than pepper?!?! ;-)