samedi 16 février 2008

Amusant!

Funny! One word to explain tonight’s “crêpe party” would be funny! It didn’t actually turn out to be a crêpe party, but rather a pizza get-together. Some of Yves’ friends came over and we all ate pizza and watched a movie (an American movie in French). Yves asked me if I wanted to watch the movie with English subtitles, but I told him that if we were going to watch the movie in French that I would like to see it with French subtitles. It’s too annoying to have to watch a movie with one language and read it in another; especially since the movie is supposed to be in English anyway. It would be like me watching a movie written in English, changing the audio to Japanese, and turning on the English subtitles.

When Yves and his friends first came to the house, it was a bit awkward. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to just march in there and say, “Howdy ya’ll! I’m the American living in the spare bedroom upstairs! How are ya’ll doing?” Eventually I thought of something to say and Yves and his friend Alexis (boy) came into my room to talk for about two minutes. I must not be that interesting. When they left I just sat in my room on the computer until Yves called me to eat. When I got to the table there were more people and everyone stared at me (zoo exhibit), so I said to the people I hadn’t yet met, “vous êtes?” (ya’ll are?). I was asking them what their names were, but instead Yves said, “ils sont Français” (They’re French). Thanks Yves! I didn’t gather that at first! When I sat down to eat, they started talking ninety to nothing about Lord knows what! They were talking too fast for me to understand, and they were using words I’d never heard of before. I wanted to burst out into song just to break the ice, but I don’t think they were very interested in me. Instead they just talked about farting and the teachers at school who they think are gay (typical of most highschoolers world wide). I also discovered that Yves has a girlfriend! ALERT THE MEDIA! Apparently this is a big deal because he doesn’t want his parents to know! (I hope they’re not reading this blog!) He told me that I couldn’t say anything because Catholic families don’t like their children to date until they’re adults. I hate to break it to you Yves, but I don’t think that’s a Catholic thing! Your parents just told you that so they would have a reason for not wanting you to date people! But I promise I won’t say a word to anyone in the world!

Today we finally got to go to the beach! On my way to meeting my friends, I ran into a guy that I met at church last night. He came up to me and we talked until I had to get off. It was so cool! After that, I thought we might miss the bus again because Linden couldn’t find her bus pass. We went back to her room to look for it and it turns out she had it in her backpack the entire time.
When we finally got to the bus stop, we ran into some other Americans who were headed out to the beach as well. One of them was trying to read the bus map and turned to a French guy to ask for help. As she began to form her sentences, the guy said, in English, “it’s alright.” She was upset as she said, “Everyone in France knows how to speak English! Why did I come here?”
At that Rachel said, “Yeah, it sounds like he speaks better English than I do!” It turns out that the guy was from Los Angeles and is studying in Paris, but took a day trip up to Normandie to see the
Beaches. That means that every person at that particular bus stop at that particular hour happened to be American. THEY’RE FOLLOWING ME!

At the beach we took a lot of photos and enjoyed the cool ocean breeze (COLD). After that we went into this little town by the beach where we found the best bakery in the world! The baker made us fresh sandwiches and served us some amazing deserts. We were in heaven! We then found a spot to sit and eat. While we were eating we ran into the other Americans again. They were chatting with us when I noticed that someone had dropped a brownie on the ground. I then loudly said, "Is that a terd or a brownie?" Rachel poked me, told me that it was a brownie, and reminded me that these people don't know me. At that I just looked at the other Americans and said, "Don't step in the brownie!" After that we took a bus back to Caen and took some pictures as the sun was setting on the city. It was amazing!

Tomorrow Rachel, Linden, and Jonathan will be joining me for church! I am so excited! I hope I become good friends with these French people!

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Hi Cole, Shannon, Sharia, and I are hainging out tonight. In regards to your zoo exhibit comments, Shannon said, "How is this any different than the looks you get at Baylor?" - awww - don't cry, I think she said it with love! Oh, and about the dating - it's definitely not a Catholic thing - we were actually encouraged to date - just not get jiggy. ;) The beach looked amazing, and I seriously want to eat all the wonderful baked goodies you are getting. Pack on a few extra pounds for me, ok?

Hugs,
Meredith

Sarah Gail a dit…

I love Crepes. I just thought I'd let you know that.

I'm glad you are finding French people and believers over across the sea! Thank you for the encouraging note. I sure need that right now!! I could also stand to spend a Sunday morning at Highland, but that will have to wait!!