samedi 22 décembre 2007

Mettez la Table!

J'arrive (I'm coming)! Today I purchased an international phone card from a local convenient store in Amarillo (Toot n' Totum) and called my famille d'accueil in Caen! Mme. Groussier was the one to answer the call, but I also got to speak briefly with M. Groussier. Mme. said that she and her family were very excited about having me stay with them next semester and had wonderful things to say about Caen. Of course, she chose to live there, so I would hope she wouldn't hate it; however, it was nice to get a local's point of view rather than a random website or Wikipedia.

I have read that there is a Baptist church in Caen, so I inquired to Mme. She told me that there is a strong protestant presence in Caen, but that her family is Practicing Catholic. She emphasized "practicing" because there are many people in France who claim to be Catholic, but don't actually go to church. She seems to be very religious and was very pleased to hear that I am as well.

In the French language, there are two ways to speak to a person using the word "you". One can use the formal/plural form "vous" or the informal/singular form "tu". To signify the use of the "vous" form, one would use the verb "vouvoyer" or to address formally. To signify the use of the "tu" form, one would use the verb "tutoyer" or to address familiarly. Because the French are very private individuals, one always uses "vous" when speaking to a person for the first time. If the French person is comfortable with you, they will insist that you use the "tu" form by saying, "On peut tutoyer (we can speak familiarly)." This is exactly what Mme. said to me as we were speaking. I responded by saying, "merci (thank you)" which I think she thought was sort of funny. I guess it would be like someone in the United States saying, "We don't have to speak so formally." and the other person saying, "OH THANK YOU!". Oh well, live and learn! Either way, I know that they are going to welcome me with open arms and that I will learn a great deal while living in France.

Oh, and by the way, Mme. informed me that her family doesn't speak English! Praise the Lord!

Aucun commentaire: